30 July 2007

You may be wondering why I'm not in Lima, teaching English at the orphanage like I was intending to do. Well, I decided to not do that, and instead, to just continue traveling, seeing more of the country. You may ask, "But why, Susan? Don't you want to help those poor children?" Sure, of course I would, but this seemed like the right thing to do right now, and so far I'm enjoying myself!
Now, here are some random bits of info about me and my current country of residence.

  • Hardly any car I've been in has a speedometer that works.
  • Staples of the Peruvian diet include potatoes, rice, cheese, potatoes, trout, chicken, white bread, Inca Kola, and did I mention potatoes?
  • When I told a lady that I was from the US, she said, "Wow, you're skinny. I thought everyone in American was fat!"
  • People have some strange beliefs here. One time I was cutting onions in the kitchen with Hilda and started to tear up. She put a cup of water by an open window and said that will prevent crying. Okay.... Another time I was in a car with a sick lady and she kept sniffing eucalyptus oil because she swore it would cure her.
  • No one ever has change here. I can give someone a 10 sol bill (worth about $3) and they will ask if I have anything smaller. It even happened when I bought something that was .50 and gave the lady 1 sol. She said she didn't have .50 change. Well why not??? Hotels, the bus station, the post office--no one has change!
  • I can't read in cars here. (I do it all the time at home.) The roads are either too bumpy or the cars or buses are so old and dilapidated that they rattle or vibrate the whole time.
  • Peruvians like their sugar. Everyone I've seen puts three or more teaspoons in their coffee or tea. Blech!
  • The people who sell stuff at the markets are usually very specialized. I saw one lady who only sold rope, another who had a booth full of coca leaves, and another who just sold eggs. I guess you know where to go when you need one of those things!
  • There are a ton of Chinese restaurants in every city. I haven't seen many other international restaurants, but Chinese chifas are everywhere!
  • I saw a local guy wearing a Seattle Supersonics sweatshirt. I wanted to take a picture of him, but by the time I thought of it, it was too late.
  • All the bananas are bruised here, which I don't understand. The ones we get in the US are nearly spotless, but the ones that they sell in the country where they're grown are bruised. Hmm...
  • My hygiene has gone by the wayside here. I don't shower every day, there is always grime under my nails, I haven't plucked my brows since I've been here, I don't wear makeup (not that it would match now, anyways, since I got a tan), and I wear my clothes for many days before washing them.
  • In the US, we teach our kids not to take candy from strangers. Here, when I give kids candy, they accept it eagerly. I guess they just take what they can get.
  • I haven't tipped since I've been here.
  • I haven't paid more than $8 for a hotel room, either.
  • Kids play with pogs, wooden tops, or just rocks and sticks in the streets. It's amazing how they can be so easily entertained without electronic gadgets (much like we could when we were kids!).
  • I haven't seen a McDonald's or a Starbucks in this country. I'm sure they exist in Lima, but I have yet to see one.
  • There is a Mormon church in nearly every city I've been to. It's strange because they are always so pristine and behind a gate and they just look out of place with the filth of the rest of the neighborhood.
And now for some random pictures:
The alpaca that wasn't sacrificed. :( Isn't she cute?
Coca leaves.
A "toilet." I think you can figure out what to do...
Close up of a bumble bee.
Another great translation.
The gorgeous CaƱon de Colca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home