22 June 2007

So when you all were enjoying the first day of summer, I was down here during the shortest, coldest day of the year. This winter solstice also happens to be when the Andean New Year is celebrated because they celebrate the birth of the sun. Lots of people (I was not one of them) got up super early yesterday so they could be there to witness the rising of the sun. When I got up, much to my HORROR, they were in the middle of sacrificing one of our "pet" alpacas! I asked what they were going to do with it, and they said we would eat it. And we did--later that day we had alpaca soup! The different parts of the animal are still lying around the kitchen. There is a big pot of "innards," the head is sitting on the counter, and the wool is in a heap on the floor. Yum.

On Wednesday, there was a paro in the province of Puno, which basically meant no cars were to be on the road. They even put big rocks in the middle of the road so you couldn't get through. I did see a few cars go by; the drivers just got out and moved the rocks to get by. I didn't get a clear reason for the paro, but I'm guessing it was part of an effort to save the environment.

Since we couldn't go anywhere, the people who run the hostel invited me to go with them on a boat trip to find el agua dulce. Apparently this "sweet water" is located in the middle of the lake and it is sacred. We found it where there were a bunch of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the lake. They are convinced this water is special so they filled a big tank with it to be used in holy ceremonies. Also on our trip, we passed by quite a few trout farmers with their big nets set up. Sr. Santiago wanted to buy some fish from them for lunch, so he just went up to one and made a deal. Fish is so cheap here--I think he paid 50 cents for about 8 pounds of fish! They were going to make ceviche out of it, but then decided to fry it instead. I have to try ceviche before I leave because where else can I eat raw fish marinated in lemon and onion?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home